This basic chili is a real family pleaser. Make it as spicy or mild as you like by adjusting the chili powder and cayenne pepper. The best thing about making chili is that the leftovers are so good! Try it over a baked potato.
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 4 - 6
- 1 TSP coconut oil
- 1 or 2 bell peppers, diced (I use one green and one red)
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 LB ground beef (I use grass-fed)
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1-2 TBS chili powder
- 1 TB cumin
- 1 TSP coriander
- 1 TSP sea salt
- ¼ TSP cayenne pepper
- 2 15 oz cans kidney beans
- Saute bell peppers, onion and garlic in 1 TSP of coconut oil over medium heat, until soft. (I use a 6 QT pot)
- Crumble hamburger into pot and stir occasionally until browned through.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, chicken broth, tomato paste.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Stir in kidney beans and bring to a boil.
- Once gently boiling, turn down heat to low and cover.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
I like to garnish this chili with plain yogurt, cheddar cheese and onions.