Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
Sometimes I get a craving for chicken tikka masala but I don’t feel like eating out. That’s why I’m so glad I can easily make it at home after work. It’s a great opportunity to make use of my Instant Pot, use homemade garam masala seasoning, and eat a primal meal.
This tasty chicken tikka masala dish comes together in about an hour and is super easy to make. And cooking in the Instant Pot makes clean up a snap!
Chop up all the ingredients, saute the onions and garlic, and then dump the rest of ingredients (except coconut milk) into the EPC and let it cook while you clean up the cutting board. When the EPC is done cooking, add the coconut milk and let simmer for 10 minutes, then serve.
I find that chicken thighs are more flavorful and usually more affordable than the breast meat. Use regular paprika if you don’t have smoked paprika on hand. If you want a little heat, add some cayenne pepper. Since I’m primal I skip the rice. It’s a great meal in a bowl. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from www.thekitchn.com.
- 1 pound boneless chicken (thighs or breast) cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 Inch fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Set EPC to saute. Melt coconut oil, then add onion and garlic. Saute a few minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add ginger, tomato paste, spices (garam masala, smoked paprika, sea salt). Stir about a minute until fragrant.
- Stir in chicken and diced tomatoes.
- Set EPC to manual and cook on high for 15 minutes.
- When EPC is done, quick release the steam and stir in coconut milk.
- Set EPC to saute and simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Turn off EPC and serve.